Thursday 13 August 2009

Morning mists


Out at Great Chesters Farm a few mornings ago, it's where the remains of Great Chesters Roman Fort are and I was looking for some nice misty shots of Cawfields.

Arrived to find a lot more mist than I was counting on and walked up the Hadrian's Wall Path, past Burnhead B&B. I was hoping that by taking the high ground by Great Chesters Farm I'd be able to get above the mist and get some nice views of Cawfield Crags rising above it.

Alas it wasn't quite high enough but I decided to try a few shots anyway.

For a change I had company on my outing and we set up our tripods, hoping to get some shots of cows and sheep through the mist. It is a public footpath so I thought the cows would be quite safe, they seemed to be all youngsters in with the bull, but they were skittish.

They would come forward, simply being nosey and then charge away.

My companion stayed where he was but I'd spotted some sheep nicely grouped and headed over to get a shot. The cows went daft, charging back and forwards.

I grabbed my sheep shot and then we decided to beat a hasty retreat through the gate on the other side of a cattle grid, it wasn't that the cows were particularly aggresive but a few tons of beef charging around with the chance of a passing blow was just a bit more of a risk than I wanted to take.

Back down to the car park and after a quick stop to catch some nice light on the Vallum it was home for breakfast.

Just a quick note to say on the last few occasions I've been out at Cawfields Quarry early on there have been camper vans parked up for the night.

The fact that there's a toilet/washroom there and all without charge,( they seem to ignore the parking charge - I checked the winshields) is obviously a draw but by illegally parking overnight they are depriving our local businesses of income. Camping charges are reasonable and we need the revenue.

1 comment: