Sunday 20 December 2009

Snowing on the Grinch



I love snow, perhaps because I can choose when I go out in it, unlike people who have to go to work.
It started snowing on Hadrian's Wall on Wednesday, not enough to block the roads but enough to show a covering of white on the Hadrian's Wall Path.

We had relatives visiting from New Zealand, they're staying with their son and daughter-in-law and seem to have spent most of the visit shopping.
Now I'm a self confessed Grinch, I don't like Christmas and I'm not that keen on shopping, especailly when it's crowded so I suggested a trip to see the Wall and maybe a walk.
We tried Vindolanda, I'd been raving about the amazing museum they have there, my brother-in-law is keen on history but when we got there the museum is closed. A lottery grant means the museum and coffee shop area are being rebuilt and will eventually be a mind blowing visitor experience.
The site itself is still open but, on a cold snowy day, the site itself didn't have that much appeal.
I'd kitted them out with decent footwear so we went up to the highest point on the Wall, Winshields Crag, instead.

From there you could see the snow storms rolling in towards us, and strange patches of bright green grass isolated between snow covered fields.
I guess the storm simply missed that bit of land.
Having had a bracing walk we retired to the Twice Brewed for a bowl of their excellent soup followed by a hot beef sandwich.

Today we've had a lot more snow, the roads around Gilsland are very icy, although the gritters have done the main road through the village.

I had a walk out with TT to post the Christmas cards through neighbours letter boxes. We did a circular route, down through the village, up past the stepping stones through Irthing Farm and back down Wardrew Hill home.



Much as I'd like to be out on the Wall with my camera I'm leaving it for a safer, brighter day.


Take care and keep warm.
Joan

1 comment:

  1. I grew up in Low Prudhoe and now my parents are in Silloth so we regularly drive past your area when we visit the Uk. My Grandad even stayed in a nursing home in Gilsland for short stays years ago. I'm glad I've found your blog (through twitter)so I can see scenes from my childhood!

    ReplyDelete