Monday 26 October 2009

Autumn leaves

I love the colours of autumn, rich reds and golds. The leaves seem to be colouring and falling so quickly this year so when I heard gale force winds were due on Sunday I knew I had to get some shots quickly.

The weather perked up a bit on Saturday afternoon so I headed off to Talkin Tarn, near Brampton.
Lots of other folk obviously had the same idea and the area around the cafe was full of families.
There's a footpath running right around the Tarn, a flat even walk, sometimes the flatness means it's a bit boring (dare I say that) but on Saturday the colours were lovely and there were ducks, geese and swans on the water to add a bit of interest.
Tom was with me so as soon as the footpath cleared I got him to walk through the woods into the light.

Light was coming and going and despite the oxygenating plant that was installed last year the tarn still had that awful smelly blue green algae, it shows up on photographs and looks awful.

On the far side of the tarn there's a building that was once a hotel. It's been bought by a developer but I think there's some dispute about what he will be allowed to do with it.
As we got to this bit of the path the rains came, there's absolutely nowhere to shelter so I wrapped my camera in a plastic bag and kept walking. Fortunately it didn't last long and as we came out of the trees the sun appeared, I turned back and took a photograph. It wasn't until I got the  photo's downloaded to the computer that I noticed the rainbow over the trees!
As well as the geese there seemed to be three seperate groups of mute swans, they were very territorial fluffing their feathers up and steaming across to interloppers. They are such beautiful birds, wish I'd taken some food along.
Took us about an hour to walk around the water, but that was slow because I was stopping to take photographs, I'd have liked to look for fungi in the woods but the day was coming to an end and it was getting dark so we headed off home.
Thanks for dropping in here, I've given up on my Twitter page I just couldn't work out what I was supposed to do and I never saw comments that other people @'d to me, don't know why they didn't show up on my page.
Catch you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment