Tuesday 23 February 2010

Busy day on Hadrian's Wall

Yesterday was bright and clear perfect for setting off Hadrian's Wall in a good light.
I was down at Willowford Farm early in the morning to witness the announcement that Hadrian's Wall is the first World Heritage Site to be awarded Fair Trade Status.

Our Roman soldier has a cup of tea with a visisting  Indian Fair Trade Cotton producer

A happy group of people cavorted in the sunshine with various blow-up Fair Trade items while photographers recorded them for posterity.

Making the announcement that Hadrian's Wall has Fair Trade Status at Willowford.

We even had a 'proper' Roman Soldier on hand to keep the locals in line.

Then in the afternoon it was a rehearsal for the Hadrian's Wall Illumination event that takes place on the 13th of March.
For yesterday's rehearsal lights had been set up between Hotbank Crag and the milecastle 37, just west of Housesteads Fort.
 
 
Lighting the gas beacons on Hadrian's Wall

Goodness it was busy, it seems you could hardly move for television crews and newspaper photographers, hope some great publicity comes from it.
I got to see that nice young man from Country File,Matt Baker up close, he's a particular favourite of mine simply because he's a local lad and very unstarry.

Matt from Country File
Of course in all this exaulted company I managed to fall flat on my face! I was trying not to get in the way of any of the tv people and didn't look where I was going, always a mistake on the uneven ground that surrounds Hadrian's Wall.
My thanks to Neil Carney from Hadrian's Wall Heritage and two of the TV people for helping me get upright again.
I decided after that I'd get out of the way and headed to the viewpoint on Cuddy's Crag, once there I didn't have long to wait for things to begin.


Dusk falls over the Military Way on Hadrian's Wall

As the sun started to go down the gas beacons were lit.
While not quite as big as I'd thought they'd be they were still impressive against a night sky.
The gas beacon

Then the burners were extinguished and flares were lit. These burn very brightly and make lots of smoke, but show up really well against the darkening dusk sky.

Flares light the way along Hadrian's Wall

A few more goes with the gas lights and the flares until all the TV groups had got the pictures they wanted and it was over.

Burners and flares at Cuddys Crag


Light on Hadrian's Wall

It was bitterly cold by this time and I bet everyone was glad to be heading home for a warm cup of tea.
Very spectacular though I'm looking forward to the event proper.
More details HERE

Catch you later - I'm off to soak my bruises.

No comments:

Post a Comment