Monday 1 March 2010

Views where Buzzards soar

Such a beautiful morning to welcome March, TT was going for a cycle ride so I headed out with my camera.
I had no real destination in mind but I'm still thinking about where I want to be for the Illumination of Hadrian's Wall.
I pottered around Cawfields, I do like the way the Wall climbs up from Cawfields to Winshields Crag and there are lots of spots where you can capture this view without being on the Hadrian's Wall Path.

Near the Hadrians Wall Path at Cawfields

You will have already seen the  pictures I posted of the rehearsal (if not scroll down) I was very much put off by the green HiViz jackets that seemed to show up brighter than the lights.
I had planned to go to Hotbank Crag and scout out the path that goes parallel to Peel Crags but driving along the road I noticed the turn to Barcombe Fell.
I posted a picture from the Long Stone on Twitter a few days ago and decided on the spur of the moment to go up to the stone again.

Heading up Barcombe Fell

I'm so glad I did the views of Hadrian's Wall are amazing.
If you're looking for a spot to see a long line of lights then look no further.

Panorama of Hadrian's Wall from Barcombe Fell -see all the way  from Sewingshields to Walltown
Double click this photo to see an enlarged version

You don't have to go very far up the public footpath to get good views, it's a well worn track so you will be safe as long as you take reasonable care.
The road leading to the FP is part of Stanegate, the old Roman Road, and it's wide enough to park on without causing too much disruption to the farmer.
Perfect in fact.

FP up Barcombe Fell here's a link to the OS map showing you where it is.

Trig point on the site of a Roman Signal Station and the Long Stone on the horizon

I climbed up to the Long Stone, it's a monument to miners killed in a pit accident.

Mining disaster memorial stone with views over Vindolanda
The views over Vindolanda are super and as I walked over the bracken I remembered a book I've read recently that said the Romans used to collect bracken from Barcombe Hill to use as matting for their dwellings.
Certainly walking in the footsteps of history.

Bracken on Barcombe Fell used by the Romans of Vindolanda to carpet their dwellings

I sat on the stone base and ate a ceral bar, watching buzzards in a mating dance high above me, larks were singing,  a Kestral hovered and I could smell the scent of dianthus ( I know really weird) and I don't think I could have been any happier.
It seems I wasn't the only one feeling the joys of spring, as I walked along towards the bridle way to take me up to the Military Road, making a circular walk, I noticed a circular contrail in the sky. Can you imagine the pilot looping the loop and shouting wheeeeeeee?

Full of the joys of spring?

I have some more information on the Illumination but will post that tomorrow for you.
Catch you later.
Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment