Tuesday 21 April 2009

Cawfields Quarry


Did one of those things yesterday where a slight twist and your back goes, end up walking like an s-bend for a while, and I missed a nice misty sunrise this morning because it hurt too much.

Pain killers all day did the trick and by this evening I felt desperate for a walk in the fresh air.

Not sure how far I'd be able to walk or how I'd cope on uneven ground I headed out to Cawfields.

I'd checked the webcam there before I set out and it looked great, big fluffy clouds right over the peak of the crag.

By the time I got there they'd moved way over but at this time of the year I like the way the light hits the crag face so I took a few photographs. The waters are really deep so you get a nice blue colour in the waters. Masses of tadpoles again this year.

Then I went up the track towards Great Chesters Farm just to enjoy that view of the Hadrian's Wall as it climbs up over the crags and onto Winshields. As you come to the access track to the front of Great Chesters you pass the Roman Fort with a couple of altar stones. Lots of coins have been left there as offerings and I must admit if I'd taken some money with me I'd probably have left an offering too, just in case.
Down the track and across the fields, pausing to enjoy the lambs running and jumping in the evening sun - they seem to have so much fun!

It's suprising how many nice circular walks there are on the various parts of Hadrian's Wall, so many people seem to treat Walking the Wall like a time trial, just wanting to get from one end to the other, missing so much of what we have to offer.

We're having a day out in the Lake District tomorrow - that's just an hour's drive for us, so it's nice to have a change of scene now and again.

Catch you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment