Sunday 31 May 2009

Bogle Hole and disasters


Went out to Bogle Hole to try a shot I'd not done before. I was looking for a sunset but it was a clear sky, so this was just a recce really.

I love the names on the stretch between Cawfields and Winshields Crag and keep determining to find out the wherefores of them.

I parked up at Caw Gap just as someone was coming through the gate, a very nice American lady Brenda walking with her brother Ernie (and thier Mom on the flatter bits).

It is lovely to have so many tourists this year.

I headed off up the track, not one of the best for walking but I got to the spot that was my destination for the evening and set up. As always I was doing my 'maybe the view a bit to the right will be better' tracking back and forward when disaster struck, I lost my footing and went flying.

The camera was around my neck and it banged into my ribs, bounced to give me a swift upercut and knocked my specs off. The tripod went under me and I ended up with a wrist so bruised and swollen it was hard to move it.

I also ended up lying in one of the grooves worn in the path, head down and at a 45 degree angle, I was like a beached whale, what a state.

I eventually managed to right myself, damage to the camera remote, mud on the filters and me.

Do you know what I was thinking?

If that darned Google Earth satallite is recording this I'll die of embarrasement!

It did make me wonder just how many of the Roman soldiers building the Wall were killed or injured. It has to have been quite a dangerous site, with large bits of rock being cut and hauled up to 12 metres, soldiers must have fallen or had rocks fall on them. No Elf 'n' Safety in those days although I imagine the commanders had to account for losses.

I was actually very lucky, I didn't actually break a bone and was able to drive home but it is dangerous so please be careful.

Catch you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment