Tuesday 12 May 2009

Wildflowers and Romans


Today I decided to visit the milecastle at Poltross in Gilsland.

I suppose because it's on my doorstep, so to speak, I've passed it without taking much notice of it yet it is the best preserved Milecastle on Hadrian's Wall. You can see the form it would have taken, the oven and stairs up to the ramparts are still in evidence.

The Victorians put the railway right next to it and I suppose it's a blessing they didn't build a few yards to the south or there'd be nothing left.

Locally I've heard it referred to as the 'King's Stables' but I have no idea where that name came from.

The Milecastle lies above the Poltross Burn and, at this time of the year, the little valley the burn runs through is awash with wildflowers.

I headed into the wood there, and it was magical, bluebells and the pretty white stitchwort flowers. Butterflies dancing from flower to flower in the sunshine and the sounds of the burn as it makes it's way down to join the River Irthing.

I easily counted 15 different wildflowers and plan to go back with my macro lens to get some close up photographs.

I know I've said it before but so many people set themselves a searing pace for walking the Wall and don't have time to enjoy the sights and sounds along the way.

Catch you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment